A sling library is a place where you can see and try on different types of slings. You can then choose to hire a sling for two weeks or more to be sure it’s the right one for you before buying it.
At Wrap a Hug sling library east London, we have a wide variety of slings for you to try and find the one that works for you and your baby. We stock ring slings, meh dais, onbuhimos, pouches, stretchy wraps, close caboos, buckles carriers, woven wraps, lightweight slings and more! We are always acquiring new slings.
Whether you are pregnant, completely new to babywearing, or an experienced babywearer, we are here to offer advice, help build your confidence carrying your baby, and accompany you on your babywearing journey. That’s why we offer free follow-ups after our initial consultation.
You can find all the slings for hire here
To check availability of slings and colours/patterns choices, head over to MyTurn online hire system
Opening times and locations:
***The Sling Library is Re-Opening – July 4th 2020***
❤️We are overjoyed to announce that the face-to-face sling libraries are now resuming in Bethnal Green with covid-secure hygiene measures in place.We are putting in place strict hygiene measures and limiting the number of people able to come at once and hoping to run the library outside. All appts are 1-0-1, as before, and no workshops will be running for a while still.
The face-to-face sling libraries are now held every other Friday in Bethnal Green (get in touch for the dates, or you can check the dates here)
We are unable to run sessions on other sites at the moment.
You can book a slot now via DM, email email@example.com or text 07916349685. Tell us how we can help you out, we will assess the amount of time you need and offer you a timeslot. All the information and full address and directions will be emailed to you.
Booking ESSENTIALS. No walk-ins available but appts on the day may be available, get in touch to check on availability in the morning of the library.
Private consultations are also available.
Online consultations and contactless sling hires continue for people shielding.
In ‘normal‘ times:
We run sessions on 2 sites in the east end of London:
***Booking essential, some appointments may be available on the day. Please contact us ahead and as soon as possible on the day on 07916349685 or firstname.lastname@example.org***
Stoke Newington, N16: we are currently looking for a new venue in the Stoke Newington/Dalston area.
Meet-ups and free info sessions (not a full-on library session; hires can be arranged on the day, no need to book). Check the facebook page for dates or enquire.
Poplar, E14: ***currently on hold***Come along the Tower Hamlets family meet-up every first Thursday of month (except January: it will be on January 9th due to the holiday) at Poplar Union for a boost of positivity and a well-deserved cup of coffee! Meet lovely local parents and perinatal/early years experts who come to support you for free on the day. Free sling demos and information. Hires can be arranged on the day; please contact me ahead of the meet-up if you want to try a particular sling.
Clapton, E5: ***currently on hold*** Come along the Hackney Real Nappies Network ‘Give and take’ event to pick up/swap some free cloth nappies and baby clothes! Events are held on a Wednesday morning every few weeks at the Round Chapel, Old school rooms Powercroft Road, E5 0NP, 10.30am-12pm. Check out the dates here. Free sling demos and information. Hires can be arranged on the day; please contact me ahead of the event if you want to try a particular sling.
NCT coffee morning at The hub cafe, Victoria Park: ***currently on hold***Come along to the NCT coffee morning at the Hub cafe in Victoria Park every Monday morning 10am-12pm. Come and meet local parents and enjoy a lovely cuppa! No need to be an NCT member, all welcome! (not hosted by Wrap a hug, but a lovely meet-up!)
For upcoming dates, get in touch or check out our Facebook page
Appointment booking is essential for the libraries, so get in touch at email@example.com or message me on 07916349685 if you want a library slot. Some appointments may be available on the day, contact ahead!
All our library sessions, workshops, sling meets and other events can be found on our Facebook page
Can’t make it? I’d be happy to meet up with you at Wrap a Hug HQ in Bethnal Green for an out-of-hours session. Just get in touch.
Consultations, Hires and Fees:
- 20 min slot with one sling hire for two weeks and are for learning how to use one sling only. These are very short sessions designed to teach you a technique and give you instructions. You can use choose to use our demo doll to practice on before using the sling with your baby. If you feel like you need more time, please book a 40 mins slot, private consultation or workshop
- 20 min consultations include: one front/hip carry in a woven wrap, back carry in a woven for experienced wrappers, front carry in a stretchy, front or back carry in a meh dai, ring sling carry, front/back carry in a buckle carrier.
- They don’t include: Back and tandem carries in wovens for beginners. These are available in private consultations or workshops only. Check with the consultant for suitability of type of consultation. If you want to learn how to use more than one sling and trying them on, this can be done in a 40 min library consultation, private consultation, or even in a workshop.
- 40 min slot with one sling hire for two weeks and are for learning how to use one, two or three slings depending on the type of sling you choose to learn. Wrapping with a woven takes considerably more time than learning how to use a buckles carrier so in a 40 min slot we might be able to just look at a woven and a buckles carrier or ring sling for example. You might want to book a 40 min slot to have more time to look at different slings if you are unsure what to go for and/or if your partner wants to try slings on as well. I will talk to you through the pros and cons of various slings, do a quick demo and you can try some on, how many depends on type and time left.
- Troubleshooting consultations last 10 min and are for helping you fix a problem with your own (or hired) sling or wrap (e.g., how to make a carrier more ergonomic and comfortable, improving a carry in a woven, stretchy, meh dai etc… or checking that you are using your sling safely)
- Demos only if you would like to see how to put on a particular sling (library or your own). You must be confident enough to then use the sling without the guidance of the consultant. If you need more help and guidance, please book a regular or troubleshooting consultation.
- Trying slings without assistance: you’re more than welcome to try out any slings on your own without the consultant’s assistance at your own risk.
Hire: The 20/40 min consultations include one sling hire for 2 weeks or 1 month for stretchy wraps and close caboos. The hire period can be extended and extra sling hires can be added.
- 20 mins with 1 sling hire: £10
- 20 mins with your own wrap/sling, no hire: £10
- 40 mins with 1 sling hire: £15
- 40 mins with your own wrap/sling, no hire: £15
- Hire only for 2 weeks, no consultation: £10
- Hire only for 1 month for stretchy wraps and close caboos, no consultation: £5
- Troubleshooting/fitting (own or hired sling) consultation (10 min), no hire included: £5
- Trying slings without assistance: free (at your own risk)
- Hire renewals: Stretchy wrap & Close caboos: £5/month, Other slings and carriers: £10/month
- Extra sling hire: £5/sling
- Follow-ups on Zoom, Whatsapp, email, phone: free of charge
Fees payments are non-refundable and must be made prior to the library session via invoice to secure your appointment. If fees are not paid ahead of your appointment, your slot may be allocated to another library user.